Thursday, August 7, 2008

Module 3 - Html Tags

Record any difficulties you encountered with these exercises. Record your thoughts about html - do you feel a sense of achievement? What are the differences between html and blogging? what do you like best?

This was a great exercise that I was glad to be apart of. When I first discovered that I was going to be creating a basic web page I did feel a little overwhelmed. Approximately six years ago I did participate in a computer course that looked briefly at creating web pages but for some reason it still seemed daunting. What I learnt was that it is really quite easy. Once you know that basics it is easy to build your skills to creating fantastic web pages. The part that I found most difficult was the order of which I needed to put the html tags. There were times when I was not 100% sure on how I could make it exactly how I wanted it. With the help of the tutorial I was able to overcome this by going back and checking how it was done and experimenting on the way.

After I had completed my task I had certainly felt a sense of achievement. It looked so much better than I thought it would ever look. I also realised that the task was not as difficult as I thought it would be. This was a great skill for me to learn because in my job I have been given the task of creating a website. So this was certainly a good start.

There are a number of differences between html and blogging. In html you have total control over what your page looks like right from the formatting to what is included and where it is included. Whereas in blogging the user is very limited as to what the page can be used for and the formatting of the page. The purpose of html and blogging also differ. Blogging can be used as a chat forum and can often be interactive with its communication. Where a html web page is used for one-way communication than interaction. A person creating an html may do so to communicate information but they may not necessarily need a response. Keeping in mind that there are html’s that are interactive with their links but they are much more limited and the communication is not recorded in one particular section.

Depending on what purpose I have in mind would depend on what I would prefer best. For the purpose of this subject I would prefer the blogging because the majority of it is already done. Whereas the html is much more time consuming and if one small element is missing it can effect the whole document.

No comments: