Thursday, August 7, 2008

Module 2 - Email Tasks

What information about a user’s e-mail, the origin of the message, and the path it took, can you glean from an e-mail message?

There is a range of information that can be retrieved from an e-mail message. Firstly the information included in the header of the message includes the user name of the sender and what domain their e-mail is from. For example, in this e-mail address jt726@hotmail.com the user name is jt726 and the domain name is hotmail. The domain name can also be a company, business or work place, for example the greater union Cinebuzz club sends e-mails with the domain of greateruinon. Therefore, the information about the origin of the message is included in the ‘from’ section of the header and footer. Within the header and footer it gives the date and time of when the e-mail was sent and whom the e-mail was sent to. This information allows both the sender and receiver to keep track of the time frame of the communication is taking place. As mentioned in the first concept of ‘the mobility of electronic digital data’ the e-mail is an instant form of communication but also can be lagged depending on when the users check and respond to the communications. (Net11 2008)

In what cases would you find it useful to use the 'cc', 'bcc' and 'reply all functions of email?

There are a number of situations where it would be useful to use the ‘cc’, ‘bcc’ and ‘reply all’ functions of e-mail. In a situation where the need may arise to use the ‘cc’ function to let other people read the e-mail but let them know that they do not necessarily need to respond to the e-mail. The information is just there for them to view. The ‘bcc’ function may be used in the work place where there may be a situation that needs the handling of records of communication to be kept and the sender does not want the receiver to know that the ‘bcc’ recipient is also receiving the e-mail. The reply all function may be used when a bulk e-mail has been received and all the recipients need to know what your reply is because they need that same information.

In what ways can you ensure that an attachment you send will be easily opened by the receiver?

There are a number of ways you can ensure that an attachment you send will be easily opened by the receiver. If you know what programs the recipient has ensure that you send the attachment in the same format as the recipient. If you are unsure of the programs the recipient has the safest way to ensure that you attachment is readable, convert the file to a plain text format. You can also send the attachment in a format that can be read by most applications such as rich text file. (Ohio Sate Universities libraries 1999)

What sorts of filters or rules do you have set up, and for what purpose?

In my own e-mail I have a filter for junk mail. Any mail that does not use my e-mail address directly or is an address within my address book goes to the junk mail folder. If the e-mail is still there and unread for 5 days it is automatically deleted. This then allows me to check my e-mails without having to delete all of the e-mails form people I do not know. It also means that there is a lesser risk of me opening an e-mail that has a virus connected to it.

How have you organised the folder structure of your email and why?

I have two e-mail accounts. In both of the accounts I have a sent items folder. When I send an e-mail an automatic copy is sent to this folder. This allows me to refer back to the e-mails I have sent allowing me to keep track of where I am up to. II also have junk folders, which were explained above. This allows me to maximise my time management by not having to filter through all of the e-mails myself. In my e-mail that I use for my studies I have folders of the subjects that I am participating in. This allows me to review e-mails within this subject quickly so I am not wasting time look through an inbox. The last folder that I have is the drafts folder. There are many times when I am half way through writing an e-mail when I am interrupted or have to suddenly go so I save the draft in the draft folder allowing me to find it later on. When I come back to it later and send it, it leaves the draft folder and transfers in its completed form to the sent folder.

References

Net 11 The Internet: Communications (SP2)(2008). Concept 1: Asynchronicity, Curtin University

Ohio Sate Universities Libraries (1999) net.TUTOR, retrieved July 31 from http://liblearn.osu.edu/tutor/

No comments: